nanog mailing list archives

Re: RIPE our of IPv4

From: "Valdis Klētnieks" <valdis.kletnieks () vt edu>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2019 01:54:01 -0500

On Fri, 29 Nov 2019 23:26:04 -0500, Brandon Martin said:

definitely the lagging factor, here.  I suspect it's at least partially
because high-ratio NAT44 has been the norm for enterprise deployments
for some time, and, among those who might otherwise be willing to
support first-class dual stack, many enterprise IT folks lack the
education to recognize the nuance between public addressing and
unfiltered public reachability of a given host.  I suspect many of them
are already using IPv6 for LAN traffic without even realizing it given
Windows' penchant for doing so since Vista.

Judging how long it took to (mostly) stamp out CLASSA/B/C nonsense,
we're in for at least a decade of IPv6 firewalls that block all ICMP, plus
whatever common IPv6 misconfigurations and misconceptions are
out there (I was deploying this stuff literally last century, so I admit
not knowing what people are screwing up currently).