nanog mailing list archives

Re: Russian government???s disconnection test

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 08:19:02 -0500

On Sat, Nov 02, 2019 at 09:18:36AM -0700, Mike Bolitho wrote:
The very fact that there are
AWS/Azure/Google Cloud data centers located around the globe makes anything
hosted there even more resilient, not less (and for the most part, I still
prefer on prem DC so I'm not even pushing "To the cloud!").

No, this fact makes everything far less resilient, because it means
"one stop shopping" for attackers.  It also makes the available attacker
budget much greater, since the ROI increases every time more resources
are concentrated in fewer places.

---rsk