nanog mailing list archives

Re: 99% of HK internet traffic goes thru uni being fought over?

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 16:48:37 -0500

On Nov 20, 2019, at 4:41 PM, bzs () theworld com wrote:

Thanks everyone for the replies. My conclusion is that no one here
knows whether HKIX handles 99% of internet traffic for HK or not.

No more than any other site.  Most IXPs may have a significant amount of traffic but it’s certainly not all of the
traffic in a market.

Generally I’ve seen that private interconnects in major cities (like HK) are more than the public (IXP) interconnects.
Anyone claiming 99% of a market unless they’re the monopoly incumbent last-mile provider i treat with a properly sized
piece of salt.

- Jared