nanog mailing list archives

Re: Level(3) DNS Spoofing All Domains

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 00:23:28 +0800

On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 12:07 AM Mel Beckman <mel () beckman org> wrote:

Frontier and Verizon have been doing it for years. They have simply thumbed their noses at NXDOMAIN. All in the name
of capturing data and eyeballs By Any Means Necessary.

Verizon USED to do this on the former UUnet customer cache resolvers
(notably: 198.6.1.1 and it's ilk) ... but:

$ dig @198.6.1.1 dad.ads123j.com
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;dad.ads123j.com. IN A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
com. 899 IN SOA a.gtld-servers.net. nstld.verisign-grs.com. 1574180221
1800 900 604800 86400

my understanding was that this was discontinued eventually when the 'product':
  1) made no appreciable money for the cost of operation
  2) paxfire died in a fiew
  3) the ProjectManager responsible inside VZB got canned...

I didn't think they brought this back to life... I hope they did not :(
Maybe you meant the VZ dsl/fios customer cache devices were/are doing this?
oh :(

;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4000
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;dad.ads123j.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
dad.ads123j.com. 0 IN A 92.242.140.21

;; Query time: 22 msec
;; SERVER: 71.250.0.12#53(71.250.0.12)

that's unfortunate for all of VZ's landline/dsl/fios folks :( bummer.

 -mel