nanog mailing list archives

Re: WIndows Updates Fail Via IPv6 - Update!

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2019 22:59:15 +0200

On 3/Mar/19 21:57, Jeroen Massar wrote:

The transport (tunnel) CAN support that kind of fragmentation.

(e.g. the tunnel could chop up a 1280 byte packet into two packets and the remote then join them together; that is a
"ethernet" level thing).

If you have a working example between a Cisco IOS XE device and a
Mikrotik router, I am all ears.

Real world for IPv6 is: do not try to transport it over a medium that does not support packets of at least 1280 bytes.

Note I am not recommending this as a best practice. I believe the
subscribers on this list are clued enough to discern that for
themselves. But in the interest of posterity, let me make that explicit.

Maybe you should ask this "FTTH" provider to deliver a decent MTU size? (next to native IPv6, something something,
20+ years old protocol...)

:-), you're a funny guy... maybe my provider and I will just get off the
Internet altogether.

Mark.