nanog mailing list archives

Re: Frontier rural FIOS & IPv6

From: Mike Leber <mleber () he net>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2019 18:42:08 -0700

You are assuming the routing and transit relationships in IPv4 are the
same in IPv6.

IPv4 has many many many suboptimal transit relationships where routing
is purposely suboptimal on the part of the networks in the path due to
competitive reasons.  One example of suboptimal routing is traffic not
being exchanged in a closer location where both networks exist and
instead being routed hundreds or thousands of miles out of the way.

Customers don't get to influence the decisions of monopolies etc.

Customers choose based on inertia, brand experience, and what options
are even available to them to get IPv6 vs IPv4.

IPv6 has randomized some of these vendor relationships due to some
upstream networks not even implementing IPv6, meaning the downstream
networks were forced to make other choices.