nanog mailing list archives

Re: Apple devices spoofing default gateway?

From: Simon Lockhart <simon () slimey org>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2019 21:40:42 +0000

On Thu Mar 14, 2019 at 04:19:04PM -0500, Jimmy Hess wrote:
Apple's Bonjour protocols include something called Apple Bonjour Sleep Proxy
for Wake on Demand ---  When a device goes to sleep,  the Proxy that runs on
various Apple devices is supposed to seize all the IP and MAC addresses that
device had registered, so it can wait for an incoming TCP SYN, (and if one's
received,  then signal the sleeping device to wake up and process the
connection.)

That's a very interesting observation - when we talk to the users of the
Apple devices, they quite often say that the device was 'asleep' when it
was sending these 'spoofed' ARP responses.

(Or perhaps they wanted to have a feature to let someone  AirPlay from a
different VLAN than another device?)

Cisco Wireless does claim to have some features to 'help' Bonjour / mDNS
to work better. I wonder if one of those features is misbehaving.

Simon