nanog mailing list archives

Re: A Deep Dive on the Recent Widespread DNS Hijacking

From: James Renken via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2019 15:34:26 -0600

On Feb 25, 2019, at 1:16 PM, Hank Nussbacher <hank () efes iucc ac il> wrote:
Yes if an attacker pwned the DNS then game over no matter what. I go
under the assumption that the attacker was not able to take over the DNS
system but rather other things along the way, in which case CAA should
be of some assistance.

I’m excited about a proposed CAA extension (https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-acme-caa-06) that would allow domain
owners to restrict issuance to a particular ACME account and a particular validation method. This could provide
stronger protection against most attacks short of a registry or registrar hijack. It’s implemented in Let’s Encrypt's
staging environment, and I hope it’s able to move forward.

--
James Renken (pronouns: he/him)
Internet Security Research Group