nanog mailing list archives

Re: Should Netflix and Hulu give you emergency alerts?

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 15:39:08 -0700

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 2:50 PM <valdis.kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
On Tue, 12 Mar 2019 13:45:23 -0700, William Herrin said:
In many cases, only the foreground app has a clear understanding of the
state of the screen. Not the OS and definitely not the hardware
platform.
I'd be super pissed if I died in Overwatch because the BIOS tried to
take
over the screen to display an amber alert.

Would you be super pissed if you died  for real because Overwatch
suppressed a
tornado or other severe weather alert relevant to your location?  Serious
question here.

I'd prefer if my computer's BIOS didn't talk to the network at all, that
being far more likely to open a path for malware than to save me from a
tornado. Some things just have "bad idea" written all over them. Serious
answer.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us
Dirtside Systems ......... Web: <http://www.dirtside.com/>