nanog mailing list archives

Re: GPS rollover

From: "Eric S. Raymond" <esr () thyrsus com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 05:00:54 -0400

Matthew Petach <mpetach () netflight com>:
On Sun, Mar 10, 2019 at 8:04 PM Stephen Satchell <list () satchell net> wrote:

So far as I can tell with NTP, there was no issue with time sources
becoming false-tickers, including my local GPS appliance.  FWIW.

I believe the rollover is *next* month, in April.   :)
https://ics-cert.us-cert.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Memorandum_on_GPS_2019.pdf

"This paper is intended to provide an understanding of the possible effects
of the April 6, 2019 GPS Week Number Rollover on Coordinated Universal Time
derived from GPS devices."

I'm a domain expert in this area - lead of NTPsec and GPSD.

Everything said in that memo is correct.  I would add only that it is
more normal now than not for GPSes to have a hidden pivot date. "For
example, a particular GPS device may interpret the WN parameter
relative to a firmware creation date and would experience a similar
rollover event 1024 weeks after that firmware creation date." Yes,
exactly.

It is therefore unlikely that your GPSes will become falsetickers on 6
April.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that they *will* go
poof some unpredictable number of weeks later.