nanog mailing list archives

Re: CloudFlare issues?

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2019 19:10:11 +0200

On 4/Jul/19 17:22, Francois Lecavalier wrote:

Following that Verizon debacle I got onboard with ROV, after a couple
research I stopped my choice on the ….drum roll…. CloudFlare GoRTR
(https://github.com/cloudflare/gortr).  If you trust them enough they
provide an updated JSON every 15 minutes of the global RIR aggregate.
I’ll see down the road if we’ll fetch them ourselves but at least it
got us up and running in less than an hour.  It was also easy for us
to deploy as the routers and the servers are on the same PoP directly
connected, so we don’t need the whole encryption recipe they provide
for mass distribution.

Funny you should mention this... I was speaking with Tom today during an
RPKI talk he gave at MyNOG, about whether we'd be willing to trust their
RTR streams.

But, I'm glad you found a quick solution to get you up and running.
Welcome to the club.

But I also have a question for all the ROA folks out there.  So far we
are not taking any action other than lowering the local-pref – we want
to make sure this is stable before we start denying prefixes.  So the
question, is it safe as of this date to : 1.Accept valid, 2. Accept
unknown, 3. Reject invalid?  Have any large network who implemented it
dealt with unreachable destinations?  I’m wondering as I haven’t found
any blog mentioning anything in this regard and ClouFlare docs only
shows example for valid and invalid, but nothing for unknown.

My assumption is that 1.Accept valid, 2. Accept unknown, 3. Reject
invalid shouldn’t break anything.

Well, a Valid and NotFound state implicitly mean that the routes can be
used for routing/forwarding. In that case, the only policy we create and
apply is against Invalid routes, which is to DROP them.

Mark.