nanog mailing list archives

Re: Colo in Africa

From: "Valdis Klētnieks" <valdis.kletnieks () vt edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2019 19:55:01 -0400

On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 15:54:10 -0600, Ken Gilmour said:

We have a different use case to traditional analytics - We're aimed at
consumers and small businesses, so instead of a SOC with one big screen
refreshing 10000 rows of only alert data every 30 seconds, we have
thousands of individuals refreshing all of their data every 30 seconds
because there are comparatively less alerts for individuals than
enterprises.

Plenty of room for lots of optimizations there, especially in conjunction
with some client-side caching.  If they're generating enough *new* events
every 30 seconds to cause any significant load, they're either in the middle
of a major event (something that shouldn't happen too often)  or they have
the logging is set to be so verbose that they're likely to miss actual important
messages.