nanog mailing list archives

Re: Network Speed Testing and Monitoring Platform

From: James Bensley <jwbensley () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 08:59:30 +0000

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 at 16:54, Colton Conor <colton.conor () gmail com> wrote:

As an internet service provider with many small business and residential customers, our most common tech support
calls are speed related. Customers complaining on slow speeds, slowdowns, etc.

We have a SNMP and ping monitoring platform today, but that mainly tells us up-time and if data is flowing across the
interface. We can of course see the link speed, but customer call in saying the are not getting that speed.

We are looking for a way to remotely test customers internet connections besides telling the customer to go to
speedtest.net, or worse sending a tech out with a laptop to do the same thing.

What opensource and commercial options are out there?

Hi Colton,

In the past I have used CPEs which support remote loopback. When the
customer complains we enable remote loopback, send the traffic to that
customers connection (rather than requiring a CPE that can generate
the traffic or having an on site device) and measuring what comes
back.

Cheers,
James.