nanog mailing list archives

Re: A Deep Dive on the Recent Widespread DNS Hijacking

From: Bill Woodcock <woody () pch net>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2019 16:13:41 -0800

On Feb 26, 2019, at 1:25 PM, Nico Cartron <nicolas () ncartron org> wrote:

On 26 Feb 2019, at 21:58, Bill Woodcock <woody () pch net> wrote:

On Feb 26, 2019, at 8:12 AM, John Levine <johnl () iecc com> wrote:

In article <CAD6AjGTBNZ8wTv6Y1KgTvNaW6Zi87RLprQK2Lg=d0evK8ot7=g () mail gmail com> you write:
Swapping the DNS cabal for the CA cabal is not an improvement. Right?  They
are really the same arbitraging rent-seekers, just different layers.

The models are different.  If I want to compromise your DNS I need to
attack your specific registrar.  If I want a bogus cert, any of the
thousand CAs in my browser will do.

Exactly.  And if you’re an organization that has money and pays attention to DNS and security, you can get yourself
a TLD, and be your own registry, at which point you only need to worry about the security of the root zone.

Interesting.
Never thought of new TLD from this angle :)

That’s the main reason for having a brand TLD at this point, from my point of view.  It’s the reason I’d get one in a
heartbeat, if I could afford the fees.

                                -Bill