nanog mailing list archives

Re: A Deep Dive on the Recent Widespread DNS Hijacking

From: Eric Kuhnke <eric.kuhnke () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 11:05:47 -0800

One thing to consider with authentication for domain registrar accounts:

DO NOT USE 2FA VIA SMS.

This is a known attack vector that's been used by SS7 hijacking techniques
for several well documented thefts of cryptocurrency, from people who were
known to be holding large amounts of (bitcoin, ethereum, whatever) on
exchanges which supported 2FA authentication.

In some cases there was no SS7 hijacking going on, but rather social
engineering of (t-mobile, sprint, verizon, at&t) customer service
representatives to get a new SIM card issued for the attack target's phone.

tl;dr: ss7 considered harmful