nanog mailing list archives

Re: fs.com dwdm equipment

From: Mel Beckman <mel () beckman org>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 06:17:18 +0000

We’ve purchased many SFP modules from fs.com<http://fs.com> for Cisco gear, and the only problem we run into is that
Cisco IOS seem unwilling to expose the error counters via SNMP. This is kind of annoying, because that’s how we get
early warning of fiber problems. I suspect IOS does this deliberately because it notices the module is not OEM. But the
cost savings with fs.com<http://fs.com> is tremendous, so we put up with this inconvenience.

On a side note, their sales support is always prompt and very personable. Technical support seems to be limited to
offering free advance warranty replacement shipping. With a few hundred modules, we’ve had maybe two dead ones. So less
than 1% iinfant mortality on pretty complex optics.

 -mel