nanog mailing list archives

Re: Wikipedia drops support for old Android smartphones; mandates TLSv1.2 to read

From: "Constantine A. Murenin" <mureninc () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 02:40:44 -0600

On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 at 02:29, Matt Hoppes <mattlists () rivervalleyinternet net>
wrote:

Why do I need Wikipedia SSLed?  I know the argument. But if it doesn’t
work why not either let it fall back to 1.0 or to HTTP.

This seems like security for no valid reason.

Exactly.  I used the wording from their own page; but I think it's actually
misleading.  They're actually going out of their way to prevent users of
"old Android smartphones" from accessing Wikipedia; if they did nothing,
everyone would still be able to read happily over HTTP.

C.