nanog mailing list archives

Re: 5G roadblock: labor

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 01:51:26 +0200

On 30/Dec/19 00:49, Michael Thomas wrote:

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/12/29/big-barrier-trump-5g-america-089883

An interesting article on the road to 5G that they need to about
double the size of the workforce to roll it out. I expect that this
affects some of you directly.

But one of its premises seems a little shaky to me: has the US ever
led the pack rolling out new network technology? I always thought it
was Japan and South Korea that were years ahead of us. In silicon
valley and SF it's still very rare to see FTTH. I'm not sure why we
would expect to get to 5G any faster than we normally do.

Personally, I'm skeptical about major 5G investment at scale.

This is one of those "time will tell" situations.

I mean, we aren't struggling for 4G/LTE performance, and in my mind, 5G
was developed when fibre was probably less perverse, from a global
standpoint. Times have changed a tad since then.

Mark.