nanog mailing list archives

Re: Elephant in the room - Akamai

From: Chris Adams <cma () cmadams net>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2019 08:59:14 -0600

Once upon a time, Fawcett, Nick <nfawcett () corp mtco com> said:
We had three onsite Akamai caches a few months ago.  They called us up and said they are removing that service and
sent us boxes to pack up the hardware and ship back.  We’ve had quite the increase in DIA traffic as a result of it.

Same here.  We'd had Akamai servers for many years, replaced as needed
(including one failed servre replaced right before they turned them
off).  Now about 50% of our Akamai traffic comes across transit links,
not peering.  This seems like it would be rather inefficient for them
too...

--
Chris Adams <cma () cmadams net>