nanog mailing list archives

Re: new BGP hijack & visibility tool “BGPalerter”

From: Robert Kisteleki <robert () ripe net>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2019 14:36:27 +0200

On 2019-08-16 14:13, Valdis Klētnieks wrote:
Hi,

On 2019-08-15 17:38, Christopher Morrow wrote:
This looks like fun!
(a few questions for the RIPE folk, I think though below)

What is the expected load of streaming clients on the RIPE service? (I
wonder because I was/am messing about with something similar, though
less node and js... not that that's relevant here).

One of the (IMO) most useful features is that you can filter what you
want to receive. In fact this makes the service useful :-) So unless you
want to tune in to a significant portion of BGP chatter, the load should
not be substantial.

I think Chris's question is more "Is RIPE going to be OK if a lot of people ask
for the extra-chatty feed?"

Yes, good point. Of course it could be a problem if too many clients ask
for too much data like a full feed... we're not prepared to provide that
on a large scale. For the moment we're looking at the effects of what
people need and if we can handle it with what we have built.

Robert