nanog mailing list archives

Re: RPKI adoption (was: Re: Corporate Identity Theft: Azuki, LLC -- AS13389, 216.179.128.0/17)

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2019 20:03:40 -0700

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 7:42 PM John Curran <jcurran () arin net> wrote:

On 13 Aug 2019, at 9:28 PM, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg () tristatelogic com>
wrote:

The last time I looked, RPKI adoption was sitting at around a grand total
of 15% worldwide.  Ah yes, here it is...

  https://rpki-monitor.antd.nist.gov/

I've asked many people and many companies why adoption remains so low, and
why their own companies aren't doing RPKI.  I've gotten the usual
assortment
of utterly lame excuses, but the one that I have had the hardest time
trying to counter is the one where a network engineer says to me "Well,
ya know, we were GOING to do that, but then ARIN... unlike the other four
regional authorities... demanded that we sign some silly thing indemnifying
them in case of.... something.

Interestingly enough, those same indemnification clauses are in the
registration services agreement that they already signed but apparently
they were not an issue at all when requesting IP address space or receiving
a transfer.

I signed no legal agreement either to register my legacy addresses or to do
a whois lookup to check someone else's addresses. Just sayin'.

--
William Herrin
bill () herrin us