nanog mailing list archives

Re: MAP-E

From: Ca By <cb.list6 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2019 07:10:48 +0900

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 5:17 AM Lee Howard <lee.howard () retevia net> wrote:

On 8/2/19 1:10 PM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via NANOG wrote:

The cost of sharing IPs in a static way, is that services such as Sony
Playstation Network will put those addresses in the black list, so you need
to buy more addresses. This hasn’t been the case for 464XLAT/NAT64, which
shares the addresses dynamically.

Furthermore, if some users need less ports than others, you
“infra-utilize” those addresses, which again is not the case for
464XLAT/NAT64. Each user gets automatically as many ports as he needs at
every moment.

So, you save money in terms of addresses, that you can invest in a couple
of servers running a redundant NAT64 setup (
https://www.jool.mx/en/session-synchronization.html). Those servers can
be actually VMs, so you don’t need dedicated hardware, especially because
when you deploy IPv6 with 464XLAT, typically 75% (and going up) of you
traffic will be IPv6 and only 25% will go thru the NAT64.

You work on much smaller networks than I do if a "couple of servers
running Jool" can handle your load.  Jool is great, and the team that built
it is great, but a couple of 10Gbps NICs on a pizza box doesn't go very
far. I've tried 100Gbps and can't get the throughput with any normal CPU.
Hoping to get back to it and run some actual measurements.

Lee

NAT64 / 464xlat / MAP all lend themselves well to regionalization / edge
distribution. That’s how i roll 464xlat. Either with anycast of the well
know prefix or dns64 or “dns view” base segmentation.

Asking for a single box to do a 100g of nat state may be the wrong
question.

Worth noting, Yandex, a big shop, sponsored adding 464xlat CLAT to FreeBSD

https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.3R/relnotes.html#network-general

Regards,

Jordi

@jordipalet

El 2/8/19 18:24, "NANOG en nombre de Baldur Norddahl" <