nanog mailing list archives

Re: who attacks the weather channel?

From: Mel Beckman <mel () beckman org>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 16:16:47 +0000

When IBM purchased TWC, IBM summarily cancelled our heretofore free weather station monitoring through
Wunderground.com<http://wunderground.com>. Instead IBM offered to “sell” us our own remote data center weather stations
information back to us at an exorbitant price. No thank you. We switched everything to Ambient.com<http://ambient.com>.

The idea of Wunderground.com<http://wunderground.com> was free public collection and sharing of useful weather data to
vastly increase the density of coverage over commercial services. It’s a pity IBM, who otherwise supports open source
through it’s vast Linux contributions, couldn’t see that.

During the Santa Barbara fires last year, our weather station on Gibraltar Peak was the one source firefighting
helicopter pilots had to obtain ridge wind speeds, which was critical to their operation. Neither the NWS nor TWC or
IBM is willing to invest in critical public information infrastructure. I’m a capitalist, but I don’t believe
destroying the good works of others is ultimately profitable.

 -mel