nanog mailing list archives

Re: WIndows Updates Fail Via IPv6

From: Chris Knipe <savage () savage za org>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2018 14:02:37 +0200

Also no problems here with IPv6 and Windows Updates...

On Sun, Nov 11, 2018 at 1:42 PM Daniel Corbe <dcorbe () hammerfiber com> wrote:

at 4:29 AM, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu> wrote:

Hi all.

Anyone ever figured out why Windows updates fail when the computer has
an
IPv6 connection?

Google has tickets and tickets of this to and outside of Microsoft
since
2013, with no real solution or answer as to what the problem actually
is.
In essence, many of the solutions out there point toward making sure
the
updates do not occur over IPv6, which, in effect, is the same as
disabling it.

I have a family PC at home running Windows 10 Pro, and noticed updates
would fail in recent months. It took me a moment to realize that this
started happening only after I enabled IPv6 in the TCP/IP stack.
Disabling it immediately solves the issue.

Quite odd that this is happening in 2018...

Mark.

I’ve had IPv6 enabled for a while and I don’t have the same issue.  We
also
peer directly with Microsoft.   Are you sure it’s an IPv6 issue and not a
general reachability issue?

-Daniel

--

Regards,