nanog mailing list archives

Re: Zayo vs Coent

From: Ryan Wilkins <ryan () deadfrog net>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2018 14:23:05 -0500

I have both Zayo and Cogent at my location in West Chicago, IL and have found that most of my traffic transits Cogent.
I haven’t had much in the way of issues with the Internet service of either but Zayo does seem to have gone down hill
in terms of support quality since they bought Abovenet.

I’m aware of the Cogent peering issues but haven’t investigated them fully.  Recently, there was an extended service
outage on my Zayo 1G link due to dark fiber issues on a private network which left me with Cogent only for about a week
and had no support calls because of it.  YMMV.

Best,
Ryan Wilkins