nanog mailing list archives

Re: USB Ethernet Adapters

From: Brad Knowles <brad () shub-internet org>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2018 20:53:27 -0500

On May 14, 2018, at 8:20 PM, Colton Conor <colton.conor () gmail com> wrote:

1. I like the ones that have lights on the Ethernet port so you can see if
the device is up/down. I find that critical as we go to a lot of sites
where we don't know if the cable is good/bad, so a indication on the lights
is critical.

If you're going to do network testing, then an NETool is recommended.  That's a complete Linux network testing system
in what looks like a larger-than-usual dongle.

Beyond that, if you're using an older Mac, then in my experience Apple's Thunderbolt 2/GigE adapter can't be beat.

I do not yet have enough experience with USB, or USB-C, or Thunderbolt 3 adapters to be able to make any
recommendations.

--
Brad Knowles <brad () shub-internet org>