nanog mailing list archives

Re: Juniper BGP Convergence Time

From: Hugo Slabbert <hugo () slabnet com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 08:17:11 -0700

On Thu 2018-May-17 10:49:37 -0400, Adam Kajtar <akajtar () wadsworthcity org> wrote:

Thomas,

Thanks for the info. This is probably why my multipath configuration wasn't
working as I thought it would. I will give this a test run also.

Mike,

Interesting thought. This would mean rpf-check wouldn't work on my outside
interfaces. Good to know.

Not necessarily that it doesn't work at all, but there are platform-specific differences in terms of loose vs. strict, whether the default route is considered in RPF evaluation, etc. From https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/interfaces-configuring-unicast-rpf.html#jd0e50

# Unicast RPF Behavior with a Default Route

On all routers except those with MPCs and the MX80 router, unicast RPF behaves as follows if you configure a default route that uses an interface configured with unicast RPF:

* Loose mode—All packets are automatically accepted. For this reason, we recommend that you not configure unicast RPF loose mode on interfaces * that the default route uses. * Strict mode—The packet is accepted when the source address of the packet matches any of the routes (either default or learned) that can be reachable through the interface. Note that routes can have multiple destinations associated with them; therefore, if one of the destinations atches the incoming interface of the packet, the packet is accepted.

On all routers with MPCs and the MX80 router, unicast RPF behaves as follows if you configure a default route that uses an interface configured with unicast RPF:

* Loose mode—All packets except the packets whose source is learned from the default route are accepted. All packets whose source is learned from the default route are dropped at the Packet Forwarding Engine. The default route is treated as if the route does not exist. * Strict mode—The packet is accepted when the source address of the packet matches any of the routes (either default or learned) that can be reachable through the interface. Note that routes can have multiple destinations associated with them; therefore, if one of the destinations matches the incoming interface of the packet, the packet is accepted.

On all routers, the packet is not accepted when either of the following is true:

* The source address of the packet does not match a prefix in the routing table. * The interface does not expect to receive a packet with this source address prefix.

--
Hugo Slabbert       | email, xmpp/jabber: hugo () slabnet com
pgp key: B178313E   | also on Signal