nanog mailing list archives

Re: deploying RPKI based Origin Validation

From: Alex Band <alex () nlnetlabs nl>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 21:09:16 +0200

On 19 Jul 2018, at 23:04, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu> wrote:

On 19/Jul/18 21:47, Michel Py wrote:

I understand that; if there is an easier way to do RPKI, people are going to use it instead of the right way.
However, I think that the blacklist targets a different kind of customer : the end user. We want the enterprise to
certify their prefixes with RPKI and put pressure on their upstreams to deploy it, the more noise we make the
better. What I want is my upstreams to give me a clean routing tables without invalids, but it does not happen so in
the meantime I'm trying to do what I can with my limited resources.

The script that Job wrote is neat, but I'm sure neither he nor I would
run it in production in lieu of the actual RPKI infrastructure.

Even though you're my competitor, I'd caution against this. But, your
network, your rules.

The picture from the enterprise is quite different. There is a lot of stuff out there that does not get upgraded,
that is not even under a maintenance contract to get the new software, or that is on EOL/EOS hardware.

So don't re-invent this wheel; that is what Delegated RPKI is for.
Several RPKI tools out there support CA functionality, as much as they
support the RP side as well.

To add to the genetic diversity, NLnet Labs recently committed to building a full RPKI Toolset, including a (Delegated)
Certificate Authority, a Publication Server and Relying Party software. As an RP implementation was the easiest way to
get going, we now have some running code – in Rust – here:

https://github.com/NLnetLabs/routinator

Ou mission is to offer a toolset that on par with our other projects such as NSD and Unbound, in terms of quality,
feature set and update frequency. We’re looking forward to your feedback; in the mean time we’re getting started with
the CA and Publication Server.

Cheers,

Alex