nanog mailing list archives

Re: California fires: smart speakers and emergency alerts

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 16:08:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 26 Jul 2018, valdis.kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
Do those use a frequency band that's suitable for cellphones to monitor (antenna
size, power, etc)? Because your best chance of getting my attention in an emergency
is to make my phone start shrieking.

15 years ago (way back in 2003), one of the reasons the cellular industry gave for NOT having mobile alerts was everyone had a home landline phone.

The cellular industry argument was the best way of getting people's attention at home in an emergency using Reverse-911 to call all the phone numbers in the local exchange. The cellular industry said mobile phone alerts were unneccessary and impractical because they wouldn't know where the cell phone was.

Fast forward to today. How many people would answer (or still have) their home landline phones if the local emergency service called in the middle of the night with an emergency message? How many people have moved around the country, and still have a cellular phone number from several cities ago?

Now my mobile phone gets emergency alerts based on the phone's current location, not the telephone number exchange from four cities ago.

(For what it's worth, I actually did get an Amber Alert on my phone last night, and
a phone-based weather alert as well)

If the cellular industry had successfully avoided mobile emergency alerts 15 years ago, because "everyone" had a landline phone, you might not have gotten an alert last night. Those where minor things, but there may be a big thing in the future. Silicon Valley loves to talk about "disrupting" things, but not about consequence of that disruption. Smart speakers are great, but no more am/fm radios for emergencies. Smart TVs are great, but no more cable/antenna for emergencies. Cell phones are great, but no more landline phones at home.

Although, I do admit, I turned off Amber alerts on my cell phone a long time ago because NCMEC always seemed to send them early in the morning while I'm sleeping.