nanog mailing list archives

RE: Rising sea levels are going to mess with the internet

From: "Naslund, Steve" <SNaslund () medline com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 19:39:03 +0000

In 2000 the network runs on completely different infrastructure than it did in 1900 (what little network existed).  By
2100 I am pretty sure we will be on different infrastructure by then.  Are you saying there will be no changes in
network topology to account for that?  By 2100 neither you or I will have to worry about it in any case unless you know
of a more major breakthrough in the near future.

Steve

Steve,

You are simply wrong. The sea level is rising at an increasing rate. The average sea level will go up by 30
centimeters to 1 meter by 2100. And of course, the storm surge will increase by a multiple of that.

Sources: NOAA.

It means access networks along the two coasts will be increasingly down.

r.

-