nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv4 smaller than /24 leasing?

From: Michael Hallgren <mh () xalto net>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2018 23:07:08 +0100

Le 2018-01-04 20:16, Job Snijders a écrit :
On Thu, 4 Jan 2018 at 20:13, Filip Hruska <fhr () fhrnet eu> wrote:

I have stumbled upon this site [1] which seems to offer /27 IPv4 leasing. They also claim "All of our IPv4 address space can be used on any network
in any location."

I thought that the smallest prefix size one could get routed globally is
/24?

Yes

So how does this work?

Probably with GRE, IPIP or OpenVPN tunnels.

Kind regards,

Job

IPv4 /24 is commonly the minimal chunk advertised to (and accepted by) neighbors. If I run a global (or regional) network, I may advertise this /24 -- or rather an aggregate covering it -- over my diverse interconnection with neighbors, your /27 being part of the chunk and routed to you internally (if you're va customer)-- no need for encapsulation efforts. Similar scenario may be multi-upstream, subject to acceptance of "punching holes in aggregates"... Am I missing something? What's the trigger for doing tunneling here?

Happy New Year '18, by the way !

mh