nanog mailing list archives

Re: MTU to CDN's

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 09:01:11 -0500

Bah, never mind.. reading my PCAP wrong :-(

On Jan 19, 2018, at 8:58 AM, Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net> wrote:

On Jan 18, 2018, at 8:44 PM, William Herrin <bill () herrin us> wrote:

Which packet?  Is there a specific CDN that does this?  I’d be curious to see
data vs speculation.

Howdy,

Path MTU discovery (which sets the DF bit on TCP packets) is enabled
by default on -every- operating system that's shipped for decades now.
If you don't want it, you have to explicitly disable it. Disabling it
for any significant quantity of traffic is considered antisocial since
routers generally can't fragment in the hardware fast path.

I’m not seeing this in a PCAP capture to at least one CDN, either from my
host or from the CDN endpoint.

I suspect you’re mistaken.

- Jared

PCAP: https://puck.nether.net/~jared/akamai.pcap