nanog mailing list archives

Re: MTU to CDN's

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike () swm pp se>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2018 07:33:06 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018, joel jaeggli wrote:

PMTUD has a lot of trouble working reliability when the destination of
the PTBĀ  is a stateless load-balancer.

If your tunnel or host clamps the mssĀ  to the appropriate value it can
support. it is highly likely that connection attempts to the same
destination will work fine.

This is understandable, but if this is also an operational practice we as the operational community want to condone (people using solutions where PMTUD doesn't work), then we also need to make sure that all applications do PLMTUD (RFC4821, Packet Level MTU Discovery). This is currently NOT the case, and from what I can tell, there isn't even an IETF document saying this is the best current practice.

So, is this something we want to say? We should talk about that.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike () swm pp se