nanog mailing list archives

Re: New Active Exploit: memcached on port 11211 UDP & TCP being exploited for reflection attacks

From: Grzegorz Janoszka <Grzegorz () Janoszka pl>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 21:23:20 +0100

On 2018-02-28 13:42, Denys Fedoryshchenko wrote:
I want to add one software vendor, who is major contributor to ddos attacks. Mikrotik till now shipping their quite popular routers, with wide open DNS recursor, that don't have even mechanism for ACL in it. Significant part of DNS amplification attacks
are such Mikrotik recursors.
They don't care till now.

I have mixed experiences with Mikrotik, but I don't think they would do such a stupid thing. A friend of my has three offices and each one has mikrotik to form tunnels and one domain for all the company.

He is not too IP savvy, so he copy-pasted the VPN config from internet and left the rest as it was. His routers are not open DNS resolvers.

When I asked them I got no reply and their logs showed:

_drop input: in:ether1 out:(unknown 0), src-mac 00:AB:CD:81:c2:71, proto UDP, AAA.47.138.134:9082->BBB.146.251.103:53, len 51

His settings showed the DNS server ON with all the queries for the local network and he actually had a toggle "allow remote queries" on, but his routers were not open resolvers.

--
Grzegorz Janoszka