nanog mailing list archives

Re: New Active Exploit: memcached on port 11211 UDP & TCP being exploited for reflection attacks

From: Steve Atkins <steve () blighty com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 13:36:56 -0800

On Feb 27, 2018, at 1:16 PM, Eric Kuhnke <eric.kuhnke () gmail com> wrote:

I question whether there is *any* high volume hoster out there that has a
reputation for successfully addressing abuse issues coming from their
customer base, and cuts off services...  By high volume hoster I define it
as companies where anybody with a credit card can buy a $2 to $15/month
VPS/VM in a fully automated process.

OVH just happens to be one of the largest and probably ranks in the top 10
worldwide by number of hypervisors and VPS. I doubt whether any of their
30-40 competitors that are smaller than them do much better, considering
the ratio of clued and attentive staff to VMs.

OVH are worse than that. Floods of the same spam coming from the
*same IP addresses* for years at a time. Continuous probes. A total refusal
to police their network or even respond to reports of issues.

They're not a major source of abuse because of their size, it's because
they've chosen to be.

Cheers,
  Steve