nanog mailing list archives

RE: Stupid Question maybe?

From: "Naslund, Steve" <SNaslund () medline com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 21:29:52 +0000

Two reasons :

1.      Legacy configuration portability, people learned a certain way and all versions of code understand a certain
way.  The best way to correct that issue it to accept either of them.

2.      The inverse mask is indeed a pain in the neck but is technically correct.  The subnet mask is used where the
equipment cares to work with the network portion of the address (ignoring the host).  The inverse mask is important
where the equipment cares more about the host we are referring to (ignoring the network).  It’s a bit of a cheat to
allow for code used in routing to be used for ACL and firewall without modification to the code.  For example, the same
code piece that routes a network toward an Ethernet interface can be reused to route a host toward a null interface.

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL

Why do we still have network equipment, where half the configuration requires netmask notation, the other half
requires CIDR and to throw you off, they also included inverse netmasks.