nanog mailing list archives

Pinging a Device Every Second

From: Colton Conor <colton.conor () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2018 09:48:30 -0600

How much compute and network resources does it take for a NMS to:

1. ICMP ping a device every second
2. Record these results.
3. Report an alarm after so many seconds of missed pings.

We are looking for a system to in near real-time monitor if an end
customers router is up or down. SNMP I assume would be too resource
intensive, so ICMP pings seem like the only logical solution.

The question is once a second pings too polling on an NMS and a consumer
grade router? Does it take much network bandwidth and CPU resources from
both the NMS and CPE side?

Lets say this is for a 1,000 customer ISP.