nanog mailing list archives

Re: A few GPON questions...

From: Seth Mattinen <sethm () rollernet us>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 12:59:16 -0800

On 12/11/18 12:32 PM, Alfie Pates wrote:
 >The cost analysis was already done.

>Costs were not factored in for BBUs on every ONT like should have been spec'd out for emergency phone lines.

These two things do not quite agree.

I'm sure management did some kind of cost analysis, but ignored normal IT things like POE for things like phones and cameras. POE is super convenient in a LAN environment. But management doesn't know or usually care about that. I'd have asked the PON guys hey, what's your solution for POE delivery to powered devices? I bet factoring that in alone would have blown the PON cost up. I can't imagine doing anything as insane as PON in a LAN environment.

But everyone knows fiber is the best and you must eliminate all that silly copper, with helpful prodding from vendor sales. Could be sales didn't want IT involved because they knew IT will kill the deal, and some management will fall for that because these sales guys must be the experts. Problems later? The IT guy will deal with it.

I've had jobs where management refused to consult with or consider suggestions from IT. I once was part of an office move where the modular furniture vendor started asking questions about cabling was entering and port locations blah blah. They were told by management they don't need to know that and IT will just figure it out later. The vendor was like no way, they need to be involved now or we won't proceed. Then IT was brought in at the last minute, but if the furniture vendor hadn't refused to proceed the plan was literally F the IT guys and make them figure it out all the cabling over the weekend before everyone was to move in. Management like that just gets worse until you line up another job and quit.