nanog mailing list archives

Re: tcp md5 bgp attacks?

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 19:27:28 -0700

my memory is that seq num guessing and sending rst was the core problem
motivating tcp/md5 for bgp, and btsh came some years later.  but no big
deal.

i think that, indeed, md5 keys are shared across many links *within* an
op's infrastructure.  but, since integrity, and not privacy, is the
goal, this does not seem risky.  carrying keys to new networks seems a
bit risky as does re-use with multiple external parties.

given the existance of effective mitigations for the ibgp case, I've
need seen a reason to employ it internally or to explore support for
rfc 4808 mechnisms since key rolling is effectively an external
coordination problem.

if i need to roll keys on ibgp, i suspect i have a far more serious
problem than if it is ebgp, twice as serious at a minimum :)

< rathole >
i am not much worried about a mesh which floods unicast.  can you even
buy devices which support that any more?  a while back, i had to really
dig in the closet to find one at 100mbps so i could shark mid-stream.

I have thousands of establish connections that last a very long time
at public exchange points, so the threat of tcp rsts to sessions is
clearly not being realized.

my theory is that, as the attacks were mitigated the attackers moved on
to other things.  after all, the non-nuisance benefit i get by resetting
your bgp session with margaret is shifting your traffic past some place
i can mitm or to a more expensive, to you, link.  the attackers moved on
to more lucrative endeavors.

randy