nanog mailing list archives

Re: tcp md5 bgp attacks?

From: Randy Bush <randy () psg com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 17:34:00 -0700

something such as, or close to, rfc 4808?

It provides some capability, but for example if I have a large iBGP
mesh and need to change methods of securing it and have automation
involved, it can often be a one-shot change unless I can zone some
routers to different versions of templating to have a smooth
transition.  Basically the negative side of using peer-groups can be
quite catastrophic with how you transition from the router software
without good update packing/replication to one with a good system.  It
doesn’t need the groups to optimize the leadership replication, but
you still use them to minimize configuration duplication.

I’m not sure if in 2018 which is the right path from an automation
perspective, if you can have software specify and iterate everything,
do you continue to use apply-groups, or just rely upon the automation
to output the full configuration?

Most systems (including the ones at present and past employers) tend
to be a variation on template driven in some language(s) where the
original problem/engineer creep doesn’t account for the proper
abstract models to allow zoned changes/rollover of subsets of the
network. Ie: rolling the key is an all-or-nothing operation.

Similar to JTK most of the log messages we see are from people who
forgot the MD5 key, or at an IX where we did poor relationship
management so the IP is now reused by others and nobody cleaned up the
older session(s).

I have heard (but not personally seen) of well formed TCP session
attacks where md5 may have helped, but since the punt path tends to be
the weak link and most folks don’t do GTSH/GTSM (or worse, have
hardware that can’t filter based on this) you still incur the
expensive punt operation only to have the RP/RE kernel then drop the
packet.

IOS-XR also has very good/robust defaults with LPTS which helps
significantly.  I’ve seen quite large attacks against a router be
mitigated by LPTS and not require the mpp/control plane filters to be
involved.

Basically, once you roll md5 you may be at risk for having rolled it
to need a way to undo and that pathway may not be easy, with or
without automation.

one or both of us needs to reread 4808

randy