nanog mailing list archives

Re: Is WHOIS going to go away?

From: Stephen Satchell <list () satchell net>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 08:23:18 -0700

On 04/25/2018 07:10 AM, keith () contoocook net wrote:
Well, personally for me, I use secret registration because I was tired of all the spam I got. Spammers scrape whois data for
email addresses. I not trying to hide my identity on the web, I just don't like spam. I'm not some dark evil force.
Cheers, Keith

What I find interesting is that I didn't get all that much spam from my small collection of domains. Of course, the e-mail addresses associated with those domains is "admin () satchell net" (and "abuse () satchell net"). Indeed, abuse is completely ignored by spammers, while admin gets a couple of pieces of Far East spam a week. That's right, a week.

I bought privacy service now, as well as renewal protection. I've lost three domains, and don't want to lose any more.