nanog mailing list archives

Re: What's the point of prepend communities?

From: Jason Lixfeld <jason+nanog () lixfeld ca>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2017 15:09:46 -0400

On Oct 26, 2017, at 2:55 PM, Job Snijders <job () ntt net> wrote:

If Network B offers some kind of “Prepend to Network C” BGP community, network A will be able to utilize all of
network B except the pieces that perform less well. (This is ofcourse assuming that Network C picks some alternative
path because of the prepends)

Absolutely.  I understand the "Prepend to Network blah” use case.  The case I don’t get is where the ISP makes no
distinction in their policy document about how the prepending of their own AS is applied to their upstream
announcements, implying that it’s announced to everyone.