nanog mailing list archives

Re: Northern California fires and telecomm outages

From: Mike <mike-nanog () tiedyenetworks com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2017 07:08:11 -0700

On 10/17/2017 03:19 PM, Seth Mattinen wrote:

Out of curiosity, why weren't there any existing emergency/last-resort microwave links already in place? It seems to be known that this cable is a single point of failure ahead of time. Were there previous plans to set up any microwave links that got put on the back burner or canceled?

Is there too much focus on fiber being the only option? IMO it's harder for a fire to destroy a microwave path vs. a fiber path, and some capacity is better than no capacity.

~Seth

The ATT building where we have collocation already however, would be quick and easy to add microwave, but they formally resist that idea and are of the position that we don't have the right to do so, despite it being in our interconnection agreement. They are digging in their heels and will have be addressed by the regulatory authority, which is not a quick process.  The cost of pulling a new cable to another building that has sufficient line of sight, is prohibitive. Not impossible, but could add six figures to the cost, and therefore is not realistic.

Mike-