nanog mailing list archives

Re: Please run windows update now

From: Brad Knowles <brad () shub-internet org>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2017 10:48:46 -0500

On May 15, 2017, at 10:08 AM, J. Oquendo <joquendo () e-fensive net> wrote:

Spot on. Shame on Microsoft for releasing patches and not
forcing the installation versus letting security managers
open up ISC^, and other nonsensical frameworks to do things
like "change/patch management" tasks. I mean, who cares if
one little patch knocks a business out of existence.

If Microsoft didn't open the security hole in the first place, then there wouldn't be a need to patch it afterwards.

Of course, there will always be patches that need to be applied, and people do have to decide what is a sane patching
process.  But if a patch can be completely avoided because they were more careful and rigorous in their development to
begin with, then as a whole the world would be better off.

I do believe Microsoft is directly responsible for making
people such daft "To patch or not to patch" admins. Force
feed patches on everyone! Then your next message will be:
"I believe Microsoft is responsible for trillions of
dollars by pushing out patches forcefully and negatively
impacting businesses worldwide."

An ounce of prevention on their part would prevent a pound of cure having to be applied by everyone else in the world.

But then Microsoft couldn't extract their value from selling that pound of cure, so that would be another problem.

Pain and anguish? I'm smiling and drinking coffee. I adore
when security shenanigas occur. That is the sound of a cash
register to me.

Not everyone licks their chops and thinks "fresh meat" when they see worldwide panic that results from a massive
security hole like this.

Some of us just want to get regular work done.

--
Brad Knowles <brad () shub-internet org>