nanog mailing list archives

Re: Carrier classification

From: Ca By <cb.list6 () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2017 16:21:06 +0000

On Sat, May 13, 2017 at 9:01 AM Mike Hammett <nanog () ics-il net> wrote:

This debate has spilled onto NANOG from Facebook now...

My point is that while the term tier-1 (meaning no transit) isn't wrong,
that the whole system is now irrelevant. Look at the Wikipedia list of
"Tier 1" networks and then look at CAIDA, Dyn, QRator, HE's BGP Report,
etc. There's some overlap between the historical "tier 1s" and the other
rankings of usefulness, but the "tier 1s" are no longer the dominate
networks they once were.

True.

For me the distinction is  nearly all carriers provide full access to the
internet, -- that is their job and the product they sell. While HE and
Cogent only provide a subset. In the case of Cogent, they provide an even
smaller subset since they don't provide access to Google on their ISP
service.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions