nanog mailing list archives

Re: Russian diplomats lingering near fiber optic cables

From: Denys Fedoryshchenko <denys () visp net lb>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2017 10:28:38 +0300

On 2017-06-02 05:42, Ben McGinnes wrote:
On Thu, Jun 01, 2017 at 07:15:12PM -0700, Joe Hamelin wrote:

The Seattle Russian Embassy is in the Westin Building just 4 floors
above the fiber meet-me-room and five floors above the NRO tap room.
They use to come ask us (an ISP) for IT help back in '96 when they
would drag an icon too far off the screen in Windows 3.11. We were
on the same floor.

So when Flynn & Friends in the Trump Transition Team were trying to
establish that back channel link to Vladimir Putin they should've just
wandered into the nearest colo facility ... okay, then.  I guess they
did it the other way because they wanted the trench coats.

Regards,
Ben
American diplomats are doing also all sort of nasty stuff in Russia(and not only),
but that's a concern of the equivalent of FBI/NSA/etc, not operators
public discussion places, unless it really affect operators anyhow.
Just amazing, how NANOG slipped into pure politics.