nanog mailing list archives

Re: RFC2544 Testing Equipment

From: James Harrison <james () talkunafraid co uk>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2017 16:41:42 +0100

On 30/05/17 16:22, Nick Olsen wrote:
 Looking to test up to 1Gb/s at various packet sizes, Measure Packet loss,
Jitter..etc. Primarily Copper, But if it had some form of optical port, I
wouldn't complain. Outputting a report that we can provide to the customer
would be useful, But isn't mandatory. Doesn't need anything fancy, Like
MPLS awareness, VLAN ID's..etc.
Viavi, VeEX and EXFO all do products in this space; Viavi/JDSU and VeEX
do quite low cost handhelds with a limited feature set (with reporting
to USB sticks et al), EXFO's handheld is a bit chunkier but a bit more
capable.

I quite liked the VeEX MX100e+ and Viavi Smartclass Ethernet units,
they'll both do RFC2544. Having said that, you probably want to be
testing Y.1564 (which those boxes will both do) if you're doing turn-up
testing. Viavi and EXFO all have their own "flavours" which make things
cleverer/easier if you have a basic environment, but I've found myself
using the standards-based versions most of the time really. Lots of
options for reflectors - all the vendors have them in various guises, if
you have a VPLS setup then probably you'd go from a 1U box next to your
VPLS box through the VPLS pipe through to the endpoint.

We ended up buying a pair of EXFO FTB-1s but we're doing RFC2544 etc at
10G, so a slightly different kettle of fish.

James