nanog mailing list archives

Re: PCIe adapters supporting long distance 10GB fiber?

From: Jim Shankland <nanog () shankland org>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2017 08:26:00 -0700

On 6/20/17 8:15 AM, Baldur Norddahl wrote:
The real question here is: will my NIC support other SFP+ modules than the
few options carried by the NIC vendor?

For example Intel claims the Intel NICs can only accept SFP+ modules by
Intel. They probably do not make optics themselves and only have few
options available. And indeed if you put in a third party optic it will be
rejected.

The last I looked -- and it's been a few years, so it might no longer be true -- the check for this was in the driver software, which is open-sourced. The check was even guarded by an ifdef so that it was easily disabled. If you disabled the check, you got a hyperventilating syslog warning saying you were taking your life into your hands by using unapproved equipment. That warning could then be ignored while it receded into rotated and, eventually, expunged log history.

As I said, that was a few years ago, so would need to be reconfirmed.

Jim