nanog mailing list archives

Friday musing - Long distance fiber deployment resources

From: Alain Hebert <ahebert () pubnix net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 14:05:15 -0400

    Warning: For just plain curiosity at the moment.

I was looking for publicly accessible feasibility studies, white papers, etc, about long distance fiber deployment. (> 400km, aka >250 miles)

The interest comes from documenting myself about how poorly deserved are the northern communities in Canada. And how "freakn a shame it is to get pwned" by France telecom wise =D.

At this point my Goolge Fu is hardly getting thru the pointless clutter search engines accumulated over the years...

    From the numerous input so far:

A lot of the attempts where made to use facilities like rail or electrical grid distribution, but it always ended squashed by a massive push back from the telecom industries, and in one case, maybe the FMI.

    I'm thinking:

If people can invest millions into DOTCOM that put fitbits on cows... There must be a way to help those communities. And ourself, from under the telecom giants.

    Thanks.

-----
Alain Hebert                                ahebert () pubnix net
PubNIX Inc.
50 boul. St-Charles
P.O. Box 26770     Beaconsfield, Quebec     H9W 6G7
Tel: 514-990-5911  http://www.pubnix.net    Fax: 514-990-9443