nanog mailing list archives

Re: Common Reliable Out Of Band Management Options at Carrier Hotels

From: Faisal Imtiaz <faisal () snappytelecom net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2017 17:24:54 +0000 (GMT)

I think you will have a tough time finding a universal solution that will fit for all DataCenters (speaking in the
context of OOB communication method).

Traditional connections via Ethernet / T1 /Phone lines will cost you a fair amount (monthly service and cross-connect).

In some of the DataCenters you can use a cellular (M2M ) based solution.. (use something like a cradle point or other
similar functioning devices)

In many of our DC we will exchange (bidirectional) OOB connection with another network (which is multi-homed).
Quite a few of the DC's also provide Courtesy Wifi for customer's use .. it is possible to configure an OOB to use that
connection.. (takes a bit of creativity).

Since part of our network is using Fixed Wireless Technologies, we are pretty familiar with Mikrotik Routerboards they
have a number of small, inexpensive devices which allow for very flexible configurations (including devices with USB
ports that support USB Cellular dongles).

Regards.
Faisal Imtiaz
Snappy Internet & Telecom